Mission is the heartbeat of the church and is likely to be a central purpose in most churches but unfortunately is rarely the natural culture of church. Leadership Teams therefore need to work hard to ensure it is maintained at the centre of church life. This involves establishing a missional priority where disciples are effective on their respective front lines as well as creating a culture of invitation and welcome in the church.
Our greatest need is for a complete renewal of our imagination about the way we do church. We must be aware of the times in which we live. We are experiencing the continued decline of organised Christianity and also the death of a culture which formally conferred Christian identity upon the British people as a whole. We have an opportunity to re-imagine church, with the recognition that one size will not fit all. Lead Academy believes that Leadership Teams can seize the distinct opportunities both for the ‘Gathered Church’ and the ‘Scattered Church’.
The Gathered Church
- This focuses on creating a missional culture within the church:
- Becoming invitational and welcoming
- Examining the style, language and accessibility of Sunday services
- Developing programmes to support mission
The Scattered Church
In addition to establishing the right culture within church, Leadership Teams must equip and release disciples to be effective witnesses across their network of communities. This involves:
- releasing individuals’ missional imagination and confidence
- encouraging and resourcing new initiatives proposed by individuals
- recognise and celebrate good examples of bringing Jesus into the workplace
Learn more about Lead Academy Next